Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mystery Man On The Job

There are three things I don't talk much about, at least in specifics, on my blog: my employer, dating, and kids. Not that I wouldn't talk to you regular joes (and jills)but you never know what kind of weirdo is lurking unseen, and it kind of makes me feel weird about getting TOO personal, you know?

But I have to tell you this work story. I just gotta.

My boss called me into her office and asked me if I knew a certain guy. We'll call him "Dan Dupree." I said the same thing I always say when I think I should probably know someone but I don't: "Hmmmm. Well, the name rings a bell but I can't quite place him."

So then my boss tells me that no one seems to know this guy, yet he's supposedly been working here for about 6 weeks. He's a summer intern. He's been turning in a time card so my boss knows he's supposedly here 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday during the day, yet no one ever sees him. She was asking me specifically because he'd sent her an email saying that he's been working "on 28" (the 28th floor, where I have an office). She described him to me, because of course she met him back when he was hired. I have no recollection of seeing anyone like him on this floor.

The dude is probably vacationing in Florida and has somehow found a way to have a time card filled out and turned in for him once a week. This whole thing is cracking me up.

I hope we never find out what's up. It would ruin it. I want my imagination to run wild, laughing at the possibilities.

4 Comments:

At Fri Jul 21, 10:43:00 AM PDT, Blogger JLR said...

Oh, I hope you never figure it out. I love life's little mysteries like this, and finding out the truth is never as good as what you can come up with on your own. That's one reason why I hestitate to get to know my neighbors. The stories I make up in my head about them based on what I observe are so much more interesting than reality.

Still, now I'm really, really curious. Because even if he's there, he's got some kind of stealth capability, and that's interesting, too.

 
At Fri Jul 21, 03:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Fascinating story. Does make one wonder where he's hiding. :)

 
At Fri Jul 21, 07:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

PLease do tell me the rest when ya find out! THis is too good!

 
At Tue Jul 25, 01:59:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bethany said...

That is FABULOUS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home