Friday, August 04, 2006

Books!

I got this quiz from Tim's blog. Good stuff. Here it is, with my results:

1. One book that changed your life

"The Pursuit Of God" by A.W. Tozer.


2. One book that you read more than once

A Separate Peace. At least 4 times.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island
Unceasing Worship, by Harold Best.

4. One book that made you laugh

"The Nanny Diaries." Yes, I know. It's considered "chic lit." It's drop-dead funny.

5. One book that made you cry

Oh, Man. I'm near tears now as I read this again from "A River Runs Through It:"

Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them.
Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.
Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.


6. One book that you wish had been written

The Great Gatsby: "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... And one fine morning ——

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

7. One book that you wish never had been written

I can't answer this.

8. One book that you're currently reading

"The Body Artist" by Don DeLillo.

9. One book you've been meaning to read

"The Physician" by Noah Gordon.

10. Now tag four people

I tag all of you. I will quote Tim now: "There are two rules: The Bible or your holy book cannot be an answer to any of these questions. And only one book per question is allowed; if that is not possible for a specific question, make it only one author per that question. Go, have fun!"

8 Comments:

At Fri Aug 04, 10:03:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

1. caught the last half of river runs through it this weekend and teared up on that last scene

2. of all the random books I read in high school, A Separate Peace always sticks in my mind, I'm not sure I even remember the story fully but I always remember that book


(oh and on a separate note, I realize that I break every grammatical and punctuation rule there is and yet I never get grief - unlike you who seems to be reprimanded every time - that makes me laugh)

 
At Fri Aug 04, 10:28:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Katie, you don't know the half of it. I am tortured at every turn here locally, not only in blogs but even in the physical world. Pray for me that I may endure.

 
At Fri Aug 04, 10:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Oh, now I see that #6 is "One book that you wish had been written," which I thought was "One book you wish you had written." That's why I answered as I did. The actual question makes no sense to me.

I guess it should be "Man Of The Hour, Tower Of Power, Too Sweet To Be Sour: The Bobby Gilles Story."

 
At Fri Aug 04, 12:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

sorry not a lot of sympathy for you "tower of power" (i tried to type that without laughing and it was really hard), grammar and punctuation are very important, i live by them at work and in life but decide to rebel in the blogging world

 
At Fri Aug 04, 12:30:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

Yeah I would like to see u do a biography on me unka geoff! you wouldn't be able to mount the first chapter!

 
At Fri Aug 04, 01:22:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

I think the question WAS supposed to be which book you wish you'd written.

I know the book that made me sob like a baby was Message in A Bottle. Man.

 
At Fri Aug 04, 02:23:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

That Nicholas Sparks. He's a real sob-inducer.

 
At Sun Aug 06, 04:38:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Bobbie, great responses. When I did this meme, I had a lot of fun pondering over the books I've read. I hope you did, too.

As for the "One book you wished had been written", I took it to mean just that. In my particular case, it was a certain genealogical book that I wished would have been written and published but wasn't due to an author's illness and death. But it could be almost any specific topic you have an interest in but hasn't been written about.

Any way, loved it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home