Monday, October 23, 2006

Should Christian Songwriters Copyright Their Songs?

So a guy on a Christian music forum asked whether Christians should copyright their songs. As someone who has been in different parts of the Christian music industry, and as someone who works for a law firm with a big Intellectual Property division (though I'm not a lawyer or paralegal), and simply as a Christian who writes songs, I thought I'd give my opinion. Here it is -- fodder for conversation in case the issue ever comes up in your presence. 8-)

First of all, what we're talking about is whether or not to register and legally enforce our copyrights, since U.S. law states that a song is automatically copyrighted the moment its creation is recorded or documented in any tangible way. In other words, if you wrote your lyrics out on a napkin, the song is copyrighted. If you sung them into someone's voicemail, the song is copyrighted.

My policy is this: My calling is to write meaningful worship songs that express theological truth and our heartfelt response to that truth. I want churches to do my songs. And if they, or any worship band, aren't making money off my songs, then I don't want to either. They can freely perform them. It's an honor for me to hear that people are using my songs to glorify God.

But if a band wanted to do my songs, put them on a CD to make a profit, and started selling thousands of units, then I'd expect to make the legally mandated royalties and no more, because I've gotta eat, put clothes on my back, and keep a roof over my head just as much as the band members and the record company workers do.
_________________

2 Comments:

At Mon Oct 23, 05:45:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the little people when you make your first million. Seizure later...

 
At Tue Oct 24, 08:56:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

interesting question and one that honestly I've never thought of before but I agree with your point of view that if someone else intends to make money off of your work than you are entitled to receive compensation

 

Post a Comment

<< Home