Wednesday, November 08, 2006

New Hymn

This is a hymn I just wrote last night, in a meter I haven't used before. It's fairly uncommon but Wesley used it effectively.

This hymn deals with work theology. My pastor always says that work is not, as many Christians seem to believe, a curse brought on by the fall. Work was made more difficult and less productive as a result of the fall, but we were put on this earth to fill and subdue it, we were told to name the animals, and we were created imago dei -- in the image of God. We do (on a limited scale) what He does because we bear his image (Laura, did I use the right "bear?"). He is the creator, and we are creative. Anyway, here it is. Since I just wrote it last night, this may not be the final draft:

GOD OF SHOP AND MARKETPLACE

(7.6.7.6.7.8.7.6 meter)





God of shop and marketplace,

Of farm and studio,

Factory and shipping lane,

Of school and busy home:

Bless the produce of our hands.

Redeem our work for Kingdom-use.

By Your grace, our efforts stand,

All offered up to You.



There in Eden, You proclaimed

That we should work the earth --

Stewards over all we named,

Delighting in their worth.

Through our fall we brought decay,

Lost access to Jehovah's rest.

Through the cross, we rest in faith

And all our labor's blessed.



In Your image we are made:

Creative like You are,

Forming goods for use and trade

Just like You formed the stars.

Send us out in power and skill

To worship through each task assigned.

By Your Spirit we fulfill

The holy, grand design.

3 Comments:

At Wed Nov 08, 07:15:00 PM PST, Blogger Laura said...

Haha, yes, you did...

What other songs are written in that meter? I could look in the back of my Baptist Hymnal but I'm just that lazy.

 
At Thu Nov 09, 05:38:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Actually it's not listed in the Baptist Hymnal -- they categorize it in the "irregular meter" section. I don't know many examples -- mainly Wesley:

Christ, whose glory fills the skies,
That famous Plant Thou art;
Tree of Life eternal, rise
In ev'ry longing heart!
Bid us find the food in Thee
For which our deathless spirits pine,
Fed with immortality,
And fill'd with love divine.

and:

Son of God, if The free grace
Again hath raised me up,
Call'd me still to seek Thy face,
And giv'n me back my hope;
Still thy timely help affords,
And all thy lovingkindness show:
Keep me, keep me, gracious Lord,
And never let me go!

 
At Thu Nov 09, 02:04:00 PM PST, Blogger Laura said...

"Free grace" and "keep me"? If I didn't know better I'd say Wesley was reformed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home