Tuesday, March 13, 2007

New Hymn Text

I have a melody in mind for this but I haven't recorded it yet. Anyway, it's a weird structure because the chorus is twice as long as the verses. Normally I'd say that's not good, but I like the way I hear it in my head.

The lines are structured like a 77.77 hymn, and I am including it in my cycle of hymns for the season of Pentecost as a song of adoration/call to worship. Here it is (since this is a first draft of something I just wrote, these lyrics may not be final):

Spirit of the Living God
You have called us to this place
Grant us fire on each tongue
Loose our lips to sing Your praise

(chorus)
Holy Counselor and friend,
Our beginning and our end
Sweet anointing from above
You're the wind, the flame, the dove
Lord, we live and breathe in You
Guide our steps and make our move
We're the marchers; You're the drum
You have called us; we have come

Spirit of the Risen One
You have called us to this place
Grant Your peace to everyone
Free our hearts to sing Your praise

c. 2007

5 Comments:

At Tue Mar 13, 10:07:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job. I love songs that praise the Lord.

 
At Wed Mar 14, 07:03:00 AM PDT, Blogger Laura said...

Bobby, thanks for writing a hymn to the Holy Spirit! I've often seen a gap in our worship (and our prayer, for that matter) when it comes to the third member of the Trinity. As an equal person in the Godhead, the Holy Spirit deserves our praise!

 
At Wed Mar 14, 02:37:00 PM PDT, Blogger Laura said...

Tiny critique just from personal taste: third line says "fire," but you'd have to sing it "Fi-yer" to fit the meter, which is so annoying. I don't have any suggestions, which is probably more annoying...

 
At Wed Mar 14, 04:34:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome song Robert. I really like it. Can't wait to hear it!

 
At Thu Mar 15, 04:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Thanks Amy, Laura, and William. Laura, I know what you mean -- I always wrestle with the word "fire," in terms of meter.

I usually sing it as one syllable but speak, or definitely read it, as two. And it's supposed to be two, but practically speaking, most people sing it as one. So I don't know ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home