Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Character

Eph. 5:33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

This verse and those that proceed it are clear, yet I do think we can run afoul of this command by undermining it long before we have found the "right" one and tied the knot, even when we would never do so intentionally. We do this when we think that our behaviour will magically change when we find Mr. or Mrs. Right.

I contend that we must keep to the basic principle of this verse in ALL our dealings with the opposite sex. Now obviously every Godly person knows to treat their significant other as their crowning jewel, not as someone who is equal to all others, or any others. But let me illustrate it like this:

Girls, if you've met a guy that treats you like a queen, holds the door for you, listens and smiles when you're telling a story, encourages and compliments you, and in general seems to be very protective of you and kind to you, yet he never acts this way toward his female friends, his mom, his sister, and other ladies, then what do you think the chances are that he'll continue to act this way with you once the "honeymoon" period is over?

Slim to none. It's not an ingrained part of his character. It's easy to "rise above" yourself when you're in the midst of infatuation, but when that wears off, your true character will shine through. Yet from time to time I've heard people say, "Well, I may be a little hard to get along with, but I won't be that way with my future wife. I'm different when I'm in a relationship with someone."

Uh huh.

It works both ways, too. A disrespectful or argumentative woman, despite her assurances to the contrary, will not act differently towards her beloved. In fact, she will probably give him a HARDER way to go, over time, because when you live with someone, share a checkbook with someone, coordinate chores with someone, put up with someone's sleep-depriving, hacking, coughing colds and clean up someone's vomit when they're sick to their stomach, it tends to create an environment that is extremely raw and real, as opposed to the often "fake" world of dating (and yes, I mean "courting" too, Harris fans).

Men should therefore cultivate, through prayer and discipline, an attitude that regards every woman as special, as someone to be cherished and protected. Women should treat men that she is in the company of with Godly respect (I realize many of these things could be posts in their own right -- obviously many people, especially guys, act as if "respect" is a far more encompassing trait than it is, really amounting to "Be my slave," but I'm writing to people who know better).

Think of it like this: if you know that you're going to compete in a physically-demanding sporting event sometime down the road, you had better start a fitness regimen immediately. If you were to say, "I'm just going to eat my Ho Ho's and watch reruns of Saved By The Bell until the game is almost here," then what chances do you really think you'd have of excelling on game day?

Be ready all the time. Many people have no trouble with this concept, when it applies to things like staying in physical shape, or dressing sharp when you're going out in public, or being able to float around a crowded room and turn on the charm, but they can't seem to understand that character requires training, too.

And the flip side to this advice is to look for a mate whom you know to be the kind of person who will carry out the command of Ephesians 5:33 because you've witnessed it for yourself, not only in his/ her dealings with you but in their dealings with the opposite sex in general.

And that's all I have to say about that. Now, go forth and prosper. And as always, stay jive to that monkey on your back.

10 Comments:

At Thu Jan 12, 06:53:00 AM PST, Blogger Laura said...

Speaking of Saved by the Bell, I saw Slater on ESPN last night. Weird.

 
At Thu Jan 12, 07:36:00 AM PST, Blogger Jason Ramage said...

Are you sure you didn't copy-and-paste all that from some dating advice web site? :)

I'm curious what you think of what Joshua Harris says here? Everyone used to give the guy a hard time when he came out with that I Kissed Dating Goodbye book, but after I ran across this article the other day I got to thinking that the only reason people didn't like him was because he's right.

 
At Thu Jan 12, 07:41:00 AM PST, Blogger Tom said...

Well get his next book "Boy meets girl" he does have some very interesting point on the matter. But I do not think he copy n pasted, there were some distinct Gillesisms in this post.

Even take it one step further it was not just a dating tip or think of your wife/husbands in a certain, if biblical way...but on a relational value. Like the part about if the man treats the woman real nice but not towards any other, who's to say how he will treat them after the courting, dating, whatever......

Very good point.

 
At Thu Jan 12, 08:34:00 AM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

And take it out of the guy/girl realm. How do you treat others? Not just societal niceties but in selflessness and loving others as yourself? This is why I chose to have a roommate and I battle a lot of times internally. I so want my way because I'm 32 and have been independent for 15 years. However, if I'm not going to serve my roommate, why do I think I'll serve my husband? If I don't care about the well being of my friends, what makes me think I'll get outside of myself for a man (especially when most people are lookign for a relationship to receive and not necessarily pour out.)

 
At Thu Jan 12, 08:58:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Good responses, everyone!

Jason, I read the Harris link and I agree with all seven points. I have always thought he had good things to say although I do feel that people have been guilty of making his writings, especially that first book, into a "67th" book of the Bible.

But that's a great article, full of truths. I think one reason people reject some of that stuff is that in this culture, many people don't WANT to be friends first -- they don't want to date a friend. They say, "It's like kissing your sister." I've been guilty of that myself. More than once.

But thanks for sharing.

And no, I didn't cut-and-paste. It's pure Jive To The Monkey.

 
At Thu Jan 12, 06:04:00 PM PST, Blogger Laura said...

Yes, I thought my response was especially brilliant. OK, I'm still a little bitter about the fact that Mr. Harris turned all my friends into angry legalists, and I think the whole dating/courtship argument is... well... meh. ToMAYto, toMAHto. Call it what you like, just place it under the Lordship of Christ, ok? Really.

 
At Thu Jan 12, 08:05:00 PM PST, Blogger Tom said...

Laura you do have one very good point there, to put it under God that is a major key that seems to be forgotten...but it still a good guide to go by, but still does not cover every nick and cranny of it all.

 
At Thu Jan 12, 08:30:00 PM PST, Blogger Jason Ramage said...

I think Harris' point is that dating results in making sacrifices that Christians shouldn't be making. Of course, some couples have very healthy dating relationships, but what makes them different? I'd say that they don't actually "date" very much. Their time is spent together with friends and family. Lots of one-on-one time is unnecessary and unhealthy.

I'm surprised by the "67th book of the Bible" comment. I don't recall anybody speaking favorably of Harris, but maybe that's because I also disagreed with him at the time.

 
At Fri Jan 13, 05:16:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Yeah, what I meant by "67th book" was what Laura said about how the book turned so many people into such stringent legalists -- relationships are not like math equations.
But as Jason said, and as Harris rightly brought to the table, an unmarried couple shouldn't be spending all their time alone together. If the difference between dating and courtship is summed up in that, then I agree courtship is best. You should be friends with each other's friends. You should be able to do things in groups.
I guess my problem with some of the Harris followers I've talked to is that some of them take that too far. I do think couples, especially adult couples, should also do things alone together. There should be a balance.

 
At Tue Jan 17, 03:25:00 PM PST, Blogger Jason Ramage said...

Yeah, I forget about the legalists out there. I try to stay away from them as much as possible, a goal easily accomplished by going out drinking with non-Christians. Legalists are not afraid of Satan, but alcohol is like Kryptonite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home