Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Sojourn Worship Songwriting Community

"... I was having dinner at Johnny Cash's house outside of Nashville. There were a lot of songwriters there. Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, Harland Howard, Kris Kristofferson ... Joe and Janette Carter ... cousins to June Carter, Johnny's wife.
After dinner, everybody sat around in the rustic living room with high wooden beams ... We sat in a circle and each songwriter would play a song and pass the guitar to the next player. Usually, there'd be comments made like, "You really nailed that one."
-- Bob Dylan, "Chronicles, vol. 1"


This is the kind of thing that I'd always wanted to be a part of: a community of songwriters. Michael Card writes about the importance of developing inner-communities of artists within the church in his "Scribbling In The Sand: Christ and Creativity." He stresses the Biblical basis and model for community, and out of that develops at outline for a structure based on constructive criticism, apprenticeship, aesthetic accountability, freedom to experiment, and unqualified acceptance.

Each of these areas has a faux counterpart in the world of commercial artistry. For instance, artistic criticism in the world usually comes after the fact, when it can't do much good. And it's usually provided by someone who doesn't know, let alone care about, the artist. The criticism isn't designed to be constructive, it's designed to tell a consumer which product to buy.

Concerning the freedom to experiment, Card writes:

"Artists must be free to try seemingly foolish things, experiments that at the outset seem doomed to failure, if for no other reason than to be able to discover ... what does not work for them. When the dust from the debacle clears, when the cacophonies stop echoing, artists need to know that their acceptance, their value as a person, has not been damaged in any way. So what, try again. The community will always be there for them."

Card then proposes the creation of a Covenant Artist Alliance that is guided by these purposes:

1. To provide a structure for genuine community.
2. To provide a covenant to which artists and their supporting resource people can commit themselves, uniting them in purpose and vision.
3. To provide a means of aesthetic accountability within the community.
4. To provide a place where apprenticeship can happen.
5. To support a speaker series and forum for the community at large.
6. To provide a retreat center for covenant members.
7. To place in community artists and resource people so the spirit of the covenant can be lived out in the day-to-day "business" of creativity.


As a long-time songwriter who was only just beginning to learn the ropes of worship songwriting, I was looking for something like this when I began going to Sojourn in the Fall of 2004. One day, while looking through old discussion threads in the Sojourn chat room, I came across a worship songwriting discussion that had begun a year previous and died out a few months before I had begun attending. It seemed like the discussion was leaning in the direction of creating this thing that I was looking for. One person, Mike Cosper, even wrote about Card's book and the Alliance. Yet the discussion thread died out in midstream. I couldn't tell if it had "went underground," if interest had waned, or what.

TO BE CONTINUED ....

9 Comments:

At Wed Dec 28, 10:05:00 AM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

I, too, want to be part of such a community, I just need to learn how to sing and play guitar...

Really, I love the creative process..

 
At Wed Dec 28, 12:32:00 PM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Do you have a guitar? Know any chords?

Have you written poetry?

 
At Thu Dec 29, 08:00:00 AM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

No, I don't have a guitar...I don't know any chords..I tried once but I have TINY hands...do they make guitars for Tiny hands??

I have written poetry..I've even written songs...my sister-in-law is a songwriter with a couple of CDs and so I've written some songs and she's written the music...nothing too exciting though...I do want to do more though...

 
At Thu Dec 29, 08:25:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

That IS exciting. It's cool that you have a sister to collaborate with on music.

If you think guitars are too big, there's always the mandolin. My brother plays mandolin. There are revolutionary mandolinists these days who play it, in some ways, more like a guitar than an old-time mandolin: Chris Thile, Sam Bush, Dave Grisman, Mike Marshall, etc.

Or there's always the ukelele. 8-)

Have you posted any of your poems/ song lyrics on your blog?

 
At Thu Dec 29, 08:46:00 AM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

no, I haven't posted them on the blog..it's kind of a long story..my sister-in-law wrote the music as guitar music and sent it to me to have someone here play it..I have given it to three people and they've never played it and after six months each I always ask for it back..so it's either really bad or God is just not letting me hear it on guitar..weird..it is weird now that I type it..so no, I have not posted them because I'm suspicious they stink..ha!

 
At Thu Dec 29, 08:46:00 AM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

what about you?

 
At Thu Dec 29, 09:28:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

I actually experimented with a songwriting workshop on this blog once. I posted a rough draft of lyrics to a song I had just written (not a worship song) and invited comments, then revised the song based on the comments. You can find it in my May archive (Sunday, May 15 -- Lyric Analyis: B-Dog In The Hotseat.)

I don't think that because three musicians didn't get it done in 6 months time necessarily means the song was bad, or even that they didn't like it. It's been my experience that many, if not most, musicians have horrible time management skills. 8-)

If you want to email any of your lyrics to me at iambictreat@yahoo.com, I could give you my humble opinion. Perhaps I could get another writer to look at them too. There is always an amount of subjectivity when you're dealing with lyric analysis -- what one writer thinks is a great line may seem pedestrian to another.

 
At Fri Dec 30, 02:30:00 PM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks Bobby...when I get the song back from my friend..I will send them to you..the song may not make a lot of sense..it's called Five Miles from the Promised Land..sort of a song about being close to fulfillment but not quite yet...and keeping the eye on the prize (those words aren't in there but that's the idea)..

 
At Fri Dec 30, 04:14:00 PM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Sounds promising. No irony intended. I look forward to reading it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home