Monday, November 28, 2005

USA Today recently ran an article called "Teens Wear Hearts On Blog" -- http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2005-10-30-teen-blogs_x.htm

Interesting stuff. I have two thoughts:

1. I can't believe these kids are even bothering to get angry when their parents check out the blogs. They shouldn't be posting private thoughts on there anyway -- it isn't a private diary. Anyone in the world can stumble across your blog, including your parents.

2. This is sort of related to a brief exchange between Jonathan Hodges and myself on his blog, concerning how personal one should get on a blog. It is interesting that those who are most likely to be preyed on -- females and teens, are the most "open". As an experiment, I searched blogs -- mostly in my "blog circle," until I came across the profiles of 20 guys and 20 gals. 8 of the gals actually list there personal email addresses on their profiles. By contrast, only 4 guys did.
Of course, the chief reason for this is because women are generally more trusting, and also more driven to communicate and express themselves.

Anyway, it was quite an article. And of course, going back to the subject of teens, a far bigger concern than "I caught my dad reading my blog" should be "I'm writing about personal things on my blog that I shouldn't even be indulging in."

3 Comments:

At Mon Nov 28, 07:47:00 AM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

Interesting...I tend to post things I know I would tell anyone...so I'm not really sharing much I wouldn't tell you in person. Granted, there is a wider audience of people who could hear these things..but that's precisely why I went into the blog world - to write for an audience..because I want to write professionally one day..and writing in my journal is very different then writing and knowing someone will read it before I die..ha!

 
At Mon Nov 28, 08:00:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Yeah, I like the tip the article gave that said, "Post only stuff you wouldn't mind seeing on a billboard."
Of course, there is a lot of leeway there for different personality-types. I have friends who would post their life histories on billboards if they could, as well as very private friends who wouldn't even consider having a blog.

 
At Mon Nov 28, 11:26:00 AM PST, Blogger Tom said...

The sad partis, that article just gave justification for parents tot ake voer kids and edit everything they do. So once again somene has no rights or expression or freedoms thereof.....

Yet what I see FAILED to be mentioned is encouraging kids to get blogs and express what tehy wish, however with responsability and wisdom. encourage the blogging yet with care, set up some rules for the playground....not take it out completly.

Freedom too much, censorship too much, responability = the middle ground

 

Post a Comment

<< Home