Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I have the most caring friend in the universe.

Background is in order: I am, I must admit, a wrestling fan. Yes, I understand there are many sleazy aspects to the business as it is run today. I grew up watching it because my dad watched it, and so I've just always been hooked.

Be that as it may -- a wrestling superstar and former WWE champion died unexpectedly Sunday morning. It was quite a shock, and a very sad situation.

Now, my friend, my little sister Stacey, couldn't care less about wrestling. Actually she makes fun of my interest every chance she gets. I didn't even say anything to her about the death. But she saw it on the AP wire or something, printed it out for me, and emailed me this little message:

From: HALL, STACEY
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 4:12 PM
To: GILLES, BOBBY
Subject: Sorry dude....hope you are feeling better.



© MASAHIKO YAMAMOTO/AP
Eduardo Guerrero
WE Smackdown!' Star Guerrero Dies
Nov 14, 9:52 AM EST


The Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- A World Wrestling Entertainment star was found dead in his hotel room Sunday in Minneapolis, where he was scheduled to appear that evening in a WWE show.

Eduardo Gory Guerrero, 38, didn't respond to a wake-up call Sunday morning, authorities said. His nephew, fellow WWE wrestler Chavo Guerrero, and hotel security at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center forced their way into the room and found him.

There were no apparent signs of foul play, police said. An autopsy was planned to determine how Guerrero died.

His nephew said Guerrero was open about past drug and alcohol abuse but had been sober for four years. Guerrero was married and had three children.

"This is a huge loss," said WWE chairman Vince McMahon. "Eddie was a wonderful, fun-loving human being. Eddie was a consummate performer."

Guerrero was a featured star on the UPN series "WWE Smackdown!" and son of Mexican wrestler Gory Guerrero. Last year, he became the second wrestler of Hispanic heritage to be WWE champion, though he lost the title four months later.

UPN also aired a special last year on his life, "Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story." The program chronicled Guerrero's childhood and his struggle with drug addiction that almost cost him his job, family and life.


Stacey is so awesome. Such a loving little pinhead. See, this is why, when people assert, as they have sometimes done through various blog comments, that men and women can't really be friends, that I must disagree. I simply know it's false. Stacey is the best friend I could have, in many ways. And when she got married last year, I simply gained a new best friend. And obviously the very title "best friend" carries an implied caveat meaning "best besides the spouse." There's no confusion.

I am truly blessed.

And as a final thought, even though hardly any wrestling fans will read this: Rest in peace, Eddie Guerrero. He was a Christian who had, through the power of Christ, overcome drug and alcohol addiction and had become known by the other wrestlers as the one to go to if you needed anything. He was always there to quote Bible verses and give advice. He will be missed.

4 Comments:

At Fri Nov 18, 09:15:00 AM PST, Blogger Lorie said...

Awww...that was sweet. You even told me about it and I didn't console you. I'm a terrible friend.

So I'm glad you have Stacey. But it takes all kinds. :)

 
At Fri Nov 18, 10:16:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

It does take all kinds. And even though you're evil, you, too, are the best friend anyone could hope to have -- for some of the same reasons, and for some different ones.

Some day, you may even win my coveted Jive To The Monkey Friend Of The Day Award. Until then, you can just go on being my wonderful little sister.

 
At Fri Nov 18, 03:57:00 PM PST, Blogger Laura said...

As a past winner, I can tell you that it's a pretty awesome feeling. I'd like to thank all my fans, everyone in the academy, especially all you people who voted for me, and everyone who helped me claw my way to the top. I love you, Mom!

 
At Sat Nov 19, 06:52:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby - quit sucking up to Stacey. What is it that you actually want from her? It has to be something for you to go on and on about all that. Seizure later...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home