Monday, April 17, 2006

Here's A New Poem

So last night I was kinda' bummed. You know, having one of those "what is God's plan for me, and is it a good plan>" moments, when scriptures began to come and I began to meditate on his sovereignty and goodness. So I composed a poem in hymn meter -- four stanzas. Like I said, this was written late last night so it may be rough. But this is my blog and I don't know what ELSE to write today so I'll share it with you. I haven't added a melody to it yet. Maybe I will; maybe I won't:

YOU DO ALL THINGS WELL (a hymn in common meter):

Every aspect of my life
Is under Your control.
You alone direct my steps,
You know where I must go.
In You, I live, and move, and breathe.
I'm nothing by myself.
I trust Your goodness and Your will,
For You do all things well.

Sickness, careless acts of men
Can all bring sudden pain.
Solid plans and heavenly dreams
Are often swept away.
You work all things for my own good,
To draw me to Yourself.
I trust Your goodness and Your will,
For You do all things well.

And should a king or warrior strike
To conquer fellow man,
And should he boast of all his might
With blood upon his hands,
He blindly serves Your purpose, Lord.
What purpose? Time will tell.
I trust Your goodness and Your will,
For You do all things well.

No harm can come against Your child
But that which You've allowed.
This present world will pass away;
You'll come back on the clouds.
No one will stop You in that hour --
Not all the power of hell.
I trust Your goodness and Your will,
For You do all things well.

5 Comments:

At Mon Apr 17, 01:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Your hymn speaks much truth. Many times I ponder the purpose and direction in my life. And it often hasn't made sense to me. Yet I keep sensing God reassuring me that I am right where he wants me just now. What more can one ask?

 
At Mon Apr 17, 02:09:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

I still think you should make a song out of it. C'mon, I'll help you. (If THAT doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will...) :)

 
At Tue Apr 18, 05:17:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Tim: thanks. And you're right -- what more can one ask?

Lorie: haven't I given you enough work with that other hymn text of mine that you've had since FOREVER?

People: Lorie actually helps with all my songs, at least with editing. I can fly higher than an eagle cuz she is the wind beneath my wings.
Hey, wait a minute! That last sentence might make a pretty good, yet overly produced and melodramatic, song lyric in itself!

 
At Tue Apr 18, 11:45:00 AM PDT, Blogger Kristi B. said...

Bobby, that was really good! I like.

 
At Wed Apr 19, 05:31:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Thanks! I actually worked out a melody to it on guitar around 11 last night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home