Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Great Derek Webb Song

Over the past couple years, the song that I've gone back and listened to more than any other is "Lover" by Derek Webb. It's such an amazing song from top to bottom. It's from his "She Must And Shall Go Free" record, the first one he made after leaving Caedmon's Call. Here are the lyrics. Enjoy:

Like a man comes to an altar
I came into this town
With the world upon my shoulders
and promises passed down
I went into the water
My father, he was pleased
I built it and I’ll tear it down
So you will be set free

But I found thieves and salesmen
Living in my father's house
I know how they got in here
and I know how to get them out
I’m turning this place over
From floor to balcony
and then just like these doves and sheep
Oh, you will be set free

I’ve always been a lover
From before I drew a breath
Some things I loved easy
and some I’ll love to death
Because love's no politician
It listens carefully

So of those who come, I can't lose one
So you will be set free

But go on and take my picture
Go on and make me up
I’ll still be your defender
You’ll be my missing son
And I’ll send out an army
Just to bring you back to me

And regardless of your brother's lies
Oh, you will be set free

I am my beloved’s
and my beloved’s mine
So you bring all your history
I’ll bring the bread and wine
and we'll have us a party
Where all drinks are on me

And as surely as the rising sun
Oh, you will be set free

c. Derek Webb

What do you think?

8 Comments:

At Wed Jun 21, 09:47:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

funny how reading lyrics can make you focus more on the words and what is being said (at least for me it does)

"Some things I loved easy
and some I’ll love to death"

"And I’ll send out an army
Just to bring you back to me"

"So you bring all your history
I’ll bring the bread and wine"

For some reasons these lines stuck out to me more than anything else. For lack of a better phrase, they moved me.

And then the sweet repetition of the phrase "you will be set free" makes me want to hold on to that promise.

So obiviously I'm not making much sense but you did ask what me think but didn't specify I had to make sense in what I thought.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 10:04:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

My favorite line was:

"I know how they got in here,
And I know how to get them out."

But those lines you pointed out all stand out to me, too. It's just such a great song. Each line says so much. Each line brings a whole history and theology with it. Brilliant stuff.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 12:16:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'and we'll have us a party
Where all drinks are on me'

This song is full of great lines, but as one who loves to celebrate, this is my favorite.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 12:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Hey Milli, have you heard Sam Bush's version of Kool and the Gang's "Celebrate"? It is far out fun to hear someone flailing away on a mandolin, singing, "Celebrate good times -- come on!" LOL.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 12:33:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found it on itunes-
Oh my gosh that is great! I want to play the mandolin like that guy.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 12:34:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Sometimes he comes to Louisville and gives clinics. About a year ago he came to one of the local music stores and gave a free mandolin clinic.

Sam Bush and all the guys from New Grass Revival were some of my musical heroes growing up -- even long before I got into Dylan.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 12:41:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Sam is from Bowling Green, you know?

 
At Wed Jun 21, 08:42:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Or is it Owensboro? One of those two ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home