Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Loving God, Loving Each Other

Dr. Tom and I both go to Sojourn Community Church in Louisville. Tom recently posted a passage on our church's web discussion board, and I gave my thoughts on it. I thought I'd share it with you Monkey Maniacs too, because I think that it can become easy for all of us to see our Christian walk only in terms of our inter-relation with God, when in fact scripture says that if we can't love each other, whom we can see, then how can we claim to love God? For you Southern Gospel lovers: there is a Gaither Vocal Band song called "Loving God, Loving Each Other," that says, in part:

Sometimes we make it harder
Than in really is --
Fill books with explanations of The Way.
When if we'd stop and listen,
And break a little bread,
We would hear the Master say,

'Loving God, loving each other,
Making music with my friends ...
Loving God, loving each other,
And the Story never ends.' "

Anyway, here is part of the church website thread:

Tom Branch
Discussion Addict
Posts: 1055
This verse really stood out the other night...I thought I would share it with everyone...tell me what the verse means to you? I'm curious to see everyone's reaction.


11 May God himself, our Father, and our Lord Jesus make it possible for us to come to you very soon.

12 And may the Lord make your love grow and overflow to each other and to everyone else, just as our love overflows toward you.

13 As a result, Christ will make your hearts strong, blameless, and holy when you stand before God our Father on that day when our Lord Jesus comes with all those who belong to him.



Bobby Gilles
Discussion Addict
Posts: 1498
Verse 13, "As a result ..." I think that is a crucial phrase. Our spirituality isn't an individual pursuit, and nor can we be considered Godly when our love is directed exclusively heaven-ward. God commands us to love each other, to go to each other, to encourage, teach, admonish, celebrate and mourn with each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home