Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sleep Deprivation, Blown Tires, Yardsales, Swimming, Salsa, and Melodies

So I don't do very many diary-type entries on my blog, and nor shall I ever. But it's a Sunday afternoon and I'm taking a break from house work so I might as well write a little something.
Anyway, here's the score with me lately: I stayed up too late every night last week and of course had to go to work the next day bright and early, so by Friday I was feeling worn out. Thought I'd not plan anything and just turn in early. But some of my best friends were gonna watch a DVD at a little place I call Hall Hall (home of the Hall's) so I swung over there since I hadn't gotten to hang out with them in a while.
Then on the way home my right front tire blew out. Thankfully there were no cars near me, and rather than spin all over the road and maybe off of it, the car just swerved to the shoulder and sort of skidded straight down the loose gravel until I breaked. Put on my spare, went home.
But then I couldn't go straight to sleep because I was too keyed up about the tire thing, so I played guitar for a bit. Wrote a melody for a collaborator's song. Who knows if it will go over but I like it. It's meditative.
Anyway, then I had to be up early to go yard-saling with friends, so that was another night of little sleep. Had a great time walking through the yard sales and eating at Cracker Barrel, and then I was off to buy a new tire. By the time I got that taken care of, I should have gone home and taken a nap, but instead I went swimming because the weather was so much nicer than had been predicted.
Unfortunately, that meant that by the time I was supposed to go salsa dancing with my little companeros late that night, I was dog-tired. So I missed out on that but I did finally get a good, full-night's sleep. Whenever I miss a chance to do something fun with friends, though, it makes me a little depressed the next day. I haven't gone dancing for one full month so I could have used the practice and I'm sure it would have been fun.
I do have to say though, that I don't really "get" those kind of theme dancing nights. You know, like "salsa night" or "swing night." You mean we're only gonna do one kind of dance all night long? No cha cha, no waltz (those are my favorites, by the way)? But that's neither here nor there.
Anyway, I slept in this morning, did some reading, played around online, did some laundry, dishes, etc. I feel back on track now. Ready to kick a little booty down in the alley. Just kidding. But seriously, I'm back in the saddle again. I feel a song coming on or something. And I hear the new Garrison Keillor/ Robert Altman movie based on Keillor's funky radio show "Prarie Home Companion" is supposed to be great. Need to see that one soon.
And now, as my old pal Rabby would say, "I've got to get out of here."

4 Comments:

At Mon Jun 12, 09:01:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

So now I'm reduced to titles? :)

Theme nights don't mean there's only one kind of dancing, but it does mean you'll get to do that kind of dance. This place was funny because they would play exactly 3 "dance" songs, 3 bachadas, 3 merengues and then 3 salsas and start the rotation over again...

 
At Mon Jun 12, 10:00:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bethany said...

a man who dances? Swoon...

 
At Mon Jun 12, 10:09:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Little collaborator friend companero, one is not "reduced" to titles, one is rendered a title on occassion for brevity's sake. And "brevity," said the bard, "is the soul of wit."

I am quite the dancer. (No laughter from the local peanut gallery). Actually I have learned partner dancing in recent months. I'm not great or anything, but it's fun.

 
At Mon Jun 12, 02:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bethany said...

The willingness to try is enough for a swoon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home