Monday, October 09, 2006

Wasn't I A Great Big Brother ...

Click HERE to read a column in the Washington Post by Marc Fisher about the state of music education in America, and what the organizers of The National Anthem Project are trying to do about it.

It reminds me of when I was around 17-18 and found out that my youngest brother, 10 years my junior, wasn't even learning the old folk songs that I had to learn in music class as an elementary student. I mean, really, how can anyone living in Southern Indiana, 15 minutes from Louisville, Ky. not know a single line of "My Old Kentucky Home" or "Back Home Again In Indiana," or for that matter "Oh Susanna" "Oh My Darling Clementine," "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" or "You're A Grand Old Flag?"

So I made my little brother come down to my room every evening for 20 minutes worth of "music instruction," which consisted of me playing all those songs on my guitar and making him sing along.

5 Comments:

At Mon Oct 09, 07:04:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

you should pay for his therapy! Makin him sang those kentucky songs. Sheesh I can barely even remember Rocky Top.

 
At Mon Oct 09, 03:09:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert, you are a cruel man. Now, I see where Garrett picks up his bad habits. Like father... Like son... Seizure later

 
At Mon Oct 09, 03:29:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tim Rice said...

And your brother was receptive to that?! ;)

Actually, I enjoy that musice. :)

 
At Tue Oct 10, 11:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

bout time the rest of ya'll learn those good ol texas pride songs

(ahahahaha)

I just love that you know The Yellow Rose of Texas, how about Deep in the Heart of Texas or All my Exes live in Texas (my great granny taught me that one)

 
At Tue Oct 10, 11:08:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

and now I realize that I sound like a big hick (sigh)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home