Tuesday, March 07, 2006

My First Musical Hero

Long before I got into Dylan, years before I'd heard Caedmon's Call or before the members of Nickel Creek were out of high school, my musical hero was a southern/country gospel singer named Kenny Hinson. Kenny was lead vocalist and occasional songwriter/ guitarist for the Hinsons, a quartet consisting of three brothers and one sister.

The Hinsons disbanded in the late 80s but came back for a reunion tour and new album in 1993. Shortly thereafter, Kenny, only in his fourties, was stricken with the cancer that would soon kill him.

Kenny had a rich, resonant country voice with a dynamic range. I tried and tried as a kid to mimic the sound of his delivery, to keep up with his range, to make his inflections my inflections. Thank God I finally realized that you have to develop your own style rather than ape someone else's, and that, furthermore, I don't have anywhere near that type of voice anyway. But I still have fond memories growing up in my parents house, listening to "The Lighthouse" and all those Hinson songs, and of going with my parents to see the Hinsons in concert once or twice a year.

A current southern/country gospel singer named Mike Bowling has just come out with a new Kenny Hinson tribute CD -- a collection of classic Kenny songs. Mike is probably the closest thing, vocally, to Kenny Hinson in gospel music today, although Kenny has countless imitators. It's in my CD player right now. And I am wistful. Full of wist. Positively brimming with it.

8 Comments:

At Tue Mar 07, 12:32:00 PM PST, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Be honest. You love Carmen.

 
At Wed Mar 08, 05:00:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

I can honestly say I've never been a fan of Carmen's work. I'm sure he's a nice guy.

It's great to hear from you, Tricky Nikki! No one else up here in the Promised Land of Louisville calls me "Bobs."

 
At Wed Mar 08, 08:17:00 AM PST, Blogger Kristi B. said...

I love "The Lighthouse." I remember growing up to the Kingsmen and Gold City occasionally performing together as "King's Gold". They would always do The Lighthouse with Mark Trammell and Parker Jonathan singing the verses. It was great!

 
At Wed Mar 08, 08:30:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

I had totally forgotten about Kings Gold! But yeah, those were some great concerts. I remember they did at least one CD together, too.

 
At Wed Mar 08, 09:49:00 AM PST, Blogger Gordon said...

Man, it is good to find some SG fans. I used to love the Kings Gold concerts. My favorite song they did was "Under Control".

 
At Wed Mar 08, 10:12:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Yeah, I liked "Under Control." Those concerts were the first I remember where artists really worked together. All kinds of interesting vocal pairings and song choices.

I think Southern Gospel is a seriously underappreciated art form.

 
At Wed Mar 08, 06:10:00 PM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

I would be scared to be one of your musical heros..they all seem to go to the great beyond a little on the early side...hmmm...coincidence?

 
At Thu Mar 09, 06:06:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

My admiration as the kiss of death? I sure hope not. Maybe I should be quarantined.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home