Tuesday, April 25, 2006

New Text

Here is a hymn-metered text that I finished Sunday night (when I say "finished," I mean "finished with the rough draft. Who knows how much I might revise it). My friend Nathan, a brilliant pianist, is working on music for it:

Deeper than the darkest grave --
The depths of my own sin.
None could save my sullied heart
Nor reach so far within.

None could purify but Christ,
None other could forgive.
None would suffer for my lies
And die so I could live.

chorus Love of God! Love of God!
Nothing else could sever
Pride's strong hold from my own soul,
Saving me forever.

I will never be the same,
I see how wrong I was.
Loss for me is truly gain
When losing leads to love.

Jesus take away the things
That pull me from Your side.
Humble me and fill my heart
With love in place of pride.

(repeat chorus)

Love beyond what man can dream,
Compassion so divine;
Forgave for good at Calvary,
Forgives time after time.

Fill me with Your Spirit, Lord,
To love impartially.
Remind me that without your grace
I'd be Your enemy.

(repeat chorus)

c. 2006

10 Comments:

At Tue Apr 25, 01:12:00 PM PDT, Blogger steve said...

CHa CHing! I like it bro... Good stuff (have guitar in hand and am currently stealing it)

 
At Wed Apr 26, 05:32:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Cool. Glad you liked it!

 
At Wed Apr 26, 06:25:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. Can't wait to hear the music, once it's worked out.
I'm not sure I like the last verse. Somehow, even with the chorus, ending with the word enemy is unsettling to me. I love the lyrics, but I'm not sure I like the placement of that last verse. But that was the only thing that I'm not crazy about. The rest is really, really good. I'd buy the record.

Sorry, that was unsolicited advice. But if you blog it, you DO expect comments, right? Remember I know nothing about writing music.

 
At Wed Apr 26, 06:53:00 AM PDT, Blogger Kristi B. said...

That's awesome Bobby. Once you get music to your songs, you're gonna have to make a CD for me!

 
At Wed Apr 26, 06:53:00 AM PDT, Blogger Gordon said...

Very nice, Bobby. Good lyrics with a smooth flow.

 
At Wed Apr 26, 07:16:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Thanks, Kristi and Gordon!

Sarah, I initially had the same doubt about the last verse. I asked my "editor" about it and she was fine with it, but I'll keep your comment in mind. I'm going to workshop it some more so we'll see what others' say about it. Thanks!

 
At Wed Apr 26, 01:24:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

I think the contrast of the last line of that verse with the chorus is nice. There's the stark realization of how deep and meaningful the grace of God is, saving us though we were and would be enemies...and then the celebration---Love of God! Love of God!

See what I'm saying?

 
At Thu Apr 27, 05:27:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Me and my hat
see what you and your cat
are saying.

 
At Thu Apr 27, 07:03:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the last verse. I agree that the contrast with the chorus is awesome! I just don't know if I like it as the last verse. I don't know where else it would work, I just don't care for it as the ending of the song.
That is just my humble opinion.

 
At Thu Apr 27, 08:34:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Hmmm. I could swap the last four lines of verse three with the last four lines of verse two ....

I shall consider it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home