Thursday, April 20, 2006

Thunder's On The Way And It's Raining In My Heart

"I hate them and I hope they run out of milk and don't realize it and have to go to the store."

I typed this line yesterday in an e-conversation with Tiny Dancer, aka Pinhead, aka Stacey (we actually work together, so e-conversations might seem kind of silly, but, well ... I don't know what to say to that).

Why would I say such a thing? To whom was I refering?

Well, to all my out-of-town Monkey Maniacs, you should know that this Saturday we here in Kentuckiana kick off the Kentucky Derby season with the annual "Thunder Over Louisville," which is supposedly the largest fireworks show in the U.S. It's quite a spectacle.

One problem: those of us who actually live just north of the Ohio River (in Jeffersonville, Indiana) but work in Louisville have a terrible time getting across the river because of Thunder. Why, you ask? Because they choose to shoot off the fireworks on one of the only TWO downtown bridges Louisville has. That's right, because some local joyboys want to fire bottle rockets off the 2nd Street Bridge, yours truly has to leave for work an hour early and resign himself to getting home late today and Friday. It takes them THREE DAYS to set the fireworks up on the bridge.

Now, to be fair, there are a lot of fireworks. It is something to see. If any of you distant people see the light and move to Louisville, you will be totally impressed with this event for at least five or six years, unless you live in Jeffersonville, where it's cheaper, in which case you will be clawing your own face off in frustration by your second or third year.

I don't really hate them, though -- the joyboys. But I DO hope they run out of milk and don't realize it and have to make a late night trip to the store. And I hope that by the time they realize it, they're in their pajamas, so they have to change clothes before hopping in their car and heading to market. THAT will teach them a lesson.

4 Comments:

At Thu Apr 20, 06:20:00 AM PDT, Blogger Kristi B. said...

I hate to burst your little bubble, but they are prolly so "fired up" about the upcoming fireworks, that a late night trip to the store for milk won't even phase them. But, I guess it's still nice to think that they were inconvenienced! =)

This was funny.

 
At Thu Apr 20, 06:34:00 AM PDT, Blogger Christa said...

I'm not going this year. Last year I about froze my butt off. I was out there all day taking photo's and by the time the fireworks started it was below 30 degrees. I was literally cold for 3 days afterwards. I know we are expecting to have warmer weather...but it ain't happenin! The fire works ARE amazing. My favorite part is when they set one off so loud you can feel the air around you shutter at the force. Sooooo Awesome!! Pretty colors too.

 
At Thu Apr 20, 08:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

Try working for the courier when the derby cruising makes me nearly go across town and then south just to come north enough....thankfully there are cops nearby that help me through. And then thunder I live right on the modified Thunder roads, so I too will have to leave early go well out of the way jsut to get there early and stay late. Yer not alone on that one.

 
At Thu Apr 20, 08:19:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Kristi: I bet it phases them if they have to change out of their jammies! I hate having to change out of my Spider Man jammie-bottoms to go places.

Christa: Yeah, it was an exceptionally cold day last year. And it's even worse when it rains. But this year the weather should cooperate.

Tom: Misery loves company, so it's good to know we see eye to eye on this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home