Friday, April 21, 2006

You ain't got but one head ....

First, an update: it took me one hour to get to work today, because of Thunder Over Louisville (see previous blog post -- I believe it was two posts back). It normally takes 20 minutes. Argh. Double-dog argh.

So last night I enjoyed a scrumptuous Chinese feast and a great musical at Actors Theatre of Louisville with three of my favorite people in the world -- favorite when they're not getting on my nerves, that is.

The play was "Crowns," by a great contemporary playwright named Regina Taylor. It was a hilarious, and at times touching, look at southern African American church culture, and the big ol' hats ("crowns") the ladies where to church. Lots of great old-time, get-on-your-feet Gospel music. The plot revolved around Jeanette, a troubled teen from Brooklyn who was sent to South Carolina by her mother to live with, and learn from, Grandma Shaw after Jeanette's brother was killed by gunshot on the streets.

Jeanette moves from rebellion to redemption, witnessing and eventually taking part in some great songs and hilarious soliloquies on hats along the way. If you get a chance to see this play when it comes to a town near you, jump on it.

I'm on the battlefield for my Lord,
Yes I'm on the battlefield for my Lord ....

1 Comments:

At Fri Apr 21, 06:14:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Oh ... by the time I got done typing this post, I'd forgotten what I'd titled it. "You ain't got but one head" was a line that the preacher said, to express his vexation that his wife, and all the ladies in his congregation, were in the habit of buying hat after hat after hat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home