Thursday, September 14, 2006

All Hail The King

Today is a milestone in the life of Gremlin Royalty: it's Lorie King's birthday. Some have said this is the big 4-0 but let me correct that rumor and declare, once and for all, that she's actually 42.

I mean 32.

Anyway, happy birthday, little buddy. It was very clever of you to authorize your birthday party last Saturday because it has basically had the effect of elongating your birthday, touching upon an entire week.

For you out-of-towners, I had the opportunity to pay a special tribute to King in song at her party -- a little blues tune I'd written for the occasion. I will share the lyrics with you now because it will provide a window into the soul of this character. Some of you who live in Georgia, Texas, the Carolinas, Pennsylvania, California, etc. will no doubt want to move here to Louisville just so you can be near this person:

IT’S GOTTA BE GOOD TO BE KING

It’s gotta be good to be King. It’s gotta be good to be King.
That squirrelly little girl can get away with anything.
It’s gotta be good to be King.

Lorie King so peculiar, so stubborn and so fierce.
You try to debate her and she’ll chew off your ears.
She’ll have the time of her life and reduce you to a puddle of tears.

Lorie King don’t put up with any spelling mistake.
No bad grammar, typos, fallacious logic for goodness’ sake.
And you use circumstantial theology, she’ll really set you straight.

It’s gotta be good to be King. It’s gotta be good to be King.
That gnarly wee avenger can get away with anything.
It’s gotta be good to be King.

B-DAWG'S MEAN BLUES HARMONICA SOLO

I ain’t never finished a meal
When she was in the room
She say’s “What are you eating?”
I say “Keep off my food.”
She don’t even care, she helps herself.
Or maybe I am talkin’ ‘bout myself…

It’s gotta be good to be King. It’s gotta be good to be King.
That kooky little cook can get away with anything.
It’s gotta be good to be King.

Lorie King like ballroom and bootie dancing too.
Lorie King like ballroom and bootie dancing too.
You better stay out the way or she will step on you.

In case you didn’t notice
The girl can really sing
She like to work on music
much as anything.
She edits all my songs down to the bone.
This is one tune I get to finish on my own.

It’s gotta be good to be King. It’s gotta be good to be King.
That nasty little gremlin gets away with everything.
It’s gotta be good to be King.

17 Comments:

At Thu Sep 14, 07:12:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

Dude the song was playing and she had a knife in her hand....that was priceless! That and the faces she made as she heard the lines. Man I wish I had my camera that night!

 
At Thu Sep 14, 07:49:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

May I congratulate on your brillant use of "fallacious" and "gnarly".

Good on ya. :)

And thanks, my friend. You make my birthdays special, albeit slightly embarrassing, with your homages.

 
At Thu Sep 14, 07:50:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

ARGH! "congratulate YOU"

I must be getting old...

 
At Thu Sep 14, 07:54:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Hahaha! You left off a word. Hahaha!

I was particularly proud of my use of "fallacious."

 
At Thu Sep 14, 08:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Emily said...

You're so right Bobby... I'm just dying to move to Louisville after reading that amazing song :)

 
At Thu Sep 14, 08:12:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had a lovely thought... no matter how old I get I will always be younger than Bobby and Lorie!

Happy Birthday Lorie!!

 
At Thu Sep 14, 08:31:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

Thanks, you young spring chicken. :)

 
At Thu Sep 14, 09:06:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Of COURSE Milli will always be young and beautiful.

And may we all stay forever young. Forever young. May we stay forever young.

That was a little Dylan for everyone.

 
At Thu Sep 14, 10:23:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

Hhahah I got ya'll beat im the youngest, but I still akt more mature than yoo do! muahahhahah

 
At Thu Sep 14, 10:59:00 AM PDT, Blogger Emily said...

I think I get the youngest award ;)

 
At Thu Sep 14, 11:12:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

I wonder who is the youngest person who regularly comes to this blog? Why doesn't everyone declare himself/herself, in terms of age?

Go!

I am 35, which makes me very, very wise and authoritative.

 
At Thu Sep 14, 12:19:00 PM PDT, Blogger Emily said...

22 (and 1/2 thank you very much)

 
At Thu Sep 14, 01:05:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

28 here, but ya'll knew that!

 
At Thu Sep 14, 01:25:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am clinging to 31.

 
At Thu Sep 14, 04:07:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Bobby! Sounds like I missed quite a party, and I live in Louisville. Bummer.

And, though I'm no regular, I think I am the youngest to post on JTTM. Then again, I seem to always be the youngest. Nineteen. I don't get a boxing frog pen for that, do I?

Happy Belated, B-Dawg! Good to see you're still keeping the blog world on its toes.

 
At Fri Sep 15, 05:08:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

E Machine, it is good to have you back. You, most likely, are the winner. And you win one great big can o' respect. I had one left over from the last competition so you get it. Feel respected.

This gift won't break like a frog pen.

 
At Fri Sep 15, 06:46:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

E. - just in case you didn't realize it, I was the one who posted on your site. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home