Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Happy Days Are Here Again

So thanks to my wonderful girlfriend Milli, I now have, for the first time in many, many years, my very own portable record (phonograph) player and some LP's!

She got it for me on my birthday. What a gift. While I certainly appreciate the clarity and convenience of CD's, mp3's, and the like, you cannot approach the warmth of good ol' analog-recorded vinyl albums. You just can't. And there's just something about the sheer size of an LP record. It's so cool to whip that bad boy out and slide it onto the turntable, to watch it start spinning and for the needle to settle into the groove.

She got me a selection of old LP's from the likes of Dylan, Cash, Keith Green, Jim Croce (one of my childhood favorites) and more. Great records, and, as it happens, records that I do not even own in CD format. Jive Monkey regular Lorie (who is also Milli's roommate -- small world) added two fantastic LP's to my collection: another Dylan classic and "Bramble Rose," a recent release on vinyl from Tift Merrit.

You know what I've been doing lately in my spare time: spinnin' records. Yeehaw!

I think I will keep Milli. Single fella's, if you ever get you a girl that's cool enough to buy you a turntable, then you'll know you've hit the jackpot.

Plus she's really really cute. And nice and righteous. And that's important stuff. But that turntable thing -- man o' man.

11 Comments:

At Wed Sep 13, 07:43:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much for anonymity : )

Now that I'm done blushing- I'm really glad you like your present. And I agree, vinyl has personality that you just can't find on a digital recording.

 
At Wed Sep 13, 08:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

My shy little blog queen ...

It's not like I've posted pictures. Which I wouldn't do, since I don't know how. Dang it.

 
At Wed Sep 13, 08:55:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

ya'll are cute

 
At Wed Sep 13, 09:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

Small world? I take full and complete (ie. total) credit for this budding little romance...

 
At Wed Sep 13, 10:41:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

Oh this is wack...im gonna bang my head up a wall....sheesh!

 
At Wed Sep 13, 10:54:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Someone please stop Tom before he hurts himself.

 
At Wed Sep 13, 10:55:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camille?

 
At Wed Sep 13, 03:20:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Lorie has brought together, let no man put asunder... sorry I couldn't resist.

Did i miss something? Why is Tom head banging?

 
At Wed Sep 13, 03:42:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

cuz all the mushy stuph

 
At Wed Sep 13, 04:18:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Tom- you're right. We were talking about Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash for a minute.

(Thanks Katie!)

 
At Thu Sep 14, 05:38:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

I've been listening to records every night when I go to bed. It's great but I'm starting to get tired from staying up so late listening to the songs. I need to exercise discipline.

But wow, what a gift.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home