Friday, September 22, 2006

Flannery O' Connor Quotes

O'Connor is one of my favorite short story writers. Enjoy:

All my stories are about the action of grace on a character who is not very willing to support it, but most people think of these stories as hard, hopeless and brutal.
Flannery O'Connor

Conviction without experience makes for harshness.
Flannery O'Connor

I find that most people know what a story is until they sit down to write one.
Flannery O'Connor

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.
Flannery O'Connor

When a book leaves your hands, it belongs to God. He may use it to save a few souls or to try a few others, but I think that for the writer to worry is to take over God's business.
Flannery O'Connor

3 Comments:

At Fri Sep 22, 11:53:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

I like the quote about truth.

 
At Fri Sep 22, 01:13:00 PM PDT, Blogger Daniel said...

Flannery O' Conner is incredible. I was reading some of her stuff this summer.

 
At Wed Sep 27, 07:26:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Yeah, it's been awhile since I've read much of her stuff. I reread a few of her stories earlier this year. I need to read a bunch more. And, I've never read her novel "Wise Blood." I need to get that. I've read selections from it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home