Monday, September 18, 2006

Cow Days

This Saturday the secret group of heroes known (or, since they're secret, perhaps we should say "not known") as The Nightriders descended upon tiny Greensburg, near the Green River, in Green County, Kentucky for a festival known as Cow Days, which features the crowning of a Cow Queen, a raffle where you can win a cow, and, most of all, a plastic cow that you can "milk" for Big Red.

The Nightriders rented a van and entered the festival en masse -- 14 strong, spilling out of the van and immediately heading to the Court House to pee, having been stuck on I-65 for a long time due to traffic.

Next, they went to Dumas Walker's (original name is something else, but I can never remember it), a tiny, tiny restaurant made famous in the song "Dumas Walker" by the Kentucky Headhunters, who sing:

We'll get a slaw burger, fries, and a bottle of ski --
Bring it on out to my baby and me.

Indeed, most of Nightriders ordered a slaw burger, fries, and ski, which is a regional soda that tastes similar to Mountain Dew.

Then they shopped through an antique store, walked through the town booths, saw some live music, ate a lot of carny food (because Nightriders love carny food, even when they've already filled up on delicious slaw burgers) and then went to the little midway, where two, but only two, of them had the guts to rider the ferris wheel.

Then they beat up some super villains, saved the populace from impending doom, piled in their van, and drove off into the night. Green County will never be the same again.

It was, dare I say it -- a spelunkin' good time.

10 Comments:

At Mon Sep 18, 06:53:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

I had tater tots with my slaw burger and they were delish. But Ski was not for me.

Oh, and I've vowed NEVER to "rider" a ferris wheel. (Even if Bobby goes back and edits his post, know that he originally said "rider the ferris wheel"...thus, my comment.)

 
At Mon Sep 18, 01:33:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bethany said...

You guys live a great life

 
At Mon Sep 18, 01:37:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bethany said...

I missed your birthday cuz I was MIA- happy Birthday to both of you...

 
At Mon Sep 18, 06:17:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The home of the original slawburger, fries and a bottle of Ski is called Dawfus Ennis's. Sadly, the Headhunter were unable to articulate the correct name into the song. Poor Mr. Ennis was denied the recognition he so richly deserved.
I did rider the ferris wheel and almost threw up. Yes, Bethy, you missed a good time.

 
At Tue Sep 19, 05:56:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Poor Dawfus.

Thanks for the clarification. As you know, I can never remember that name.

Bethy, thanks!!!

 
At Tue Sep 19, 06:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tim Rice said...

It's good to have a group of guys like that to hang out with.

 
At Wed Sep 20, 05:27:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Yeah, even though some of them are crazy, as blog lurker Will could attest.

 
At Wed Sep 20, 03:24:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tim Rice said...

If we're never crazy, we're not totally alive.

 
At Wed Sep 20, 03:25:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Also, I know I sometimes need the "crazy" guys to lighten me up some times. :)

 
At Sat Sep 23, 05:27:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Robert... I have pictures from Cow Days for you and Millie. I also have your birthday present that I forgot to give you. I hope that we make it a tradition to go back every year. Seizure later...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home