Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Into My Heart An Air That Kills ...

By A.E. Housman

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

Housman was a poet who used a lot of hymn meters for his poetry. This one is in common meter, although odd-numbered lines are trochaic rather than iambic (emphasis on the first syllable rather than the second).

1 Comments:

At Wed Jan 31, 10:56:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the more special for someone like me, who lives surrounded by those "blue remembered hills" in Shropshire. My website www.farcountryphotography.co.uk is based on Housman's Shropshire Lad,and contains some 200 of my photographs.You might like to take a look.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home