Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Chess Anyone?

I really need to learn how to play chess.
Last night I took Logan (6) to Sunergos, because I took Garrett (8) a few weeks ago when Logan was sick, and what's done with one of them must be done with the other. And just like Garrett previously, Logan spotted the chess board within two seconds of entering.
"Let's play that!" he said.
"Do you know how to play?" I said.
"No. But you do."
"No, I don't."
"You don't know how to play this game?"
"No, son."
"Awww Daddy." He smiles. "Yes you do."
They think I know everything. So, given the fact that the day will come when they think I don't know anything, I sauntered up to the table with the chess set and sat down for a game (only, of course, after ordering a Caramel latte -- mmmmmmm -- for myself and a non-caffeinated chocolate freeze drink for him).
I know the Queen is very powerful, the King is a wimp who must be protected at all cost, and that various pieces can move in different ways. However, the Gilles boys' version of chess is simply one move per piece, and you keep trying to capture your opponents pieces until they are all gone. Last man standing wins. When the game started dragging (for me anyway -- he was enthralled) I allowed that certain impressive looking pieces could move two spaces per turn. This invigorated the process.
Logan won. It is smart to let him win, because then he doesn't cry in public and make me look like a heel. I'm also told it is good for his self-esteem. Of course, I can't let him win all the time, because then he wouldn't learn how to deal with defeat. But last night, the kid triumphed. And I'm sure the people sitting next to us were wondering what in the world kind of game we were playing with the chess pieces.
One day I shall learn chess. It just seems like such a useless way to deplete my brainwaves. I can only store so much up there, you know. If I learn chess, what will I forget in its place? How to write a sonnet? How to do my job? How to tie my shoes? Scary. Think about that before you decide to take up chess.

9 Comments:

At Wed Mar 09, 10:17:00 AM PST, Blogger Tom said...

I can teach you, its fun, and being such a complicated game I took it up very fast....after one set of instrucitons......Actually we could do it in style.....meet up at mall st matthews and play in the BIG chess board.

 
At Wed Mar 09, 10:35:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheryl-
maybe we should try bobby's version instead of speed chess next time. speed chess rocks!
bobby-
i am currently learning to play. i highly recommend it. although, now that i think about it, the thing i seem to have forgotten since i learned how to play chess is my phone number. i have been leaving messages for people for the past 2 weeks to call ***7966 instead of 7912. 7966 was my last 4 digits over 7 years ago. scary. learn at your own risk.

 
At Wed Mar 09, 11:07:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Tom: no, no, no ... chess must be played at Sunergos, where one can get a caramel latte.
Sarah: see, that's what I mean. I have a hard enough time remembering my phone number as it is.
Cheryl: After viewing the thrashing you received at chess a few weeks ago from Mike Blakeney, who I believe had one-half of his brain tied behind his back at the time, I wouldn't necessarily say that you know how to play. Hahaha-- just kidding with my homegirl. But you DID call me Gui-yays instead of B-Dog.

What is this Speed Chess?

 
At Wed Mar 09, 11:49:00 AM PST, Blogger Tom said...

fine then can do at sunergos as well...but the fun w9uld be picking up peices as big as we are....thats the fun..........ok lemme know we can meet up at sunergos one day and Ill show you. Coffee and chess sounds good right about now

 
At Wed Mar 09, 03:12:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you're a cool dad, Bobby. But then again, my dad's pretty cool and he taught me to play chess... the right way. ;D

 
At Thu Mar 10, 05:59:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

E: I strive for coolness. Sometimes they don't think so, like when I'm making the do their music lessons.
Cheryl: anyone can have the longest game ever when they take 30 minutes between each move. Did you realize at one point that Mike went home, knitted himself a sweater, and then came back before your turn was up?

 
At Thu Mar 10, 11:46:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

"Ther"? "Anyways"? What is this, the Beverly Hillbillys?

You know I think you're great, Cheryl ....

 
At Thu Mar 10, 01:04:00 PM PST, Blogger Lorie said...

I *almost* one a chess tournament one time, believe it or not. We learned how to play as one of our PE class subjects in Brazilian school. Go figure.

 
At Fri Mar 11, 05:07:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

You almost "one"? That's great, but it would have been better if you had "won"?

I got you, Little King! Hahaha! I GOT you!

O happy day for me! Rarer than a four-leaf clover -- a Lorie King spelling error. And I discovered it. Me, a humble hoosier boy. Hahaha! I GOT you, Little King!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home