Thursday, March 03, 2005

Enter The Nightrider

There is a group of superheroes, ladies and gentlemen, living in the very environs of Kentuckiana. They call themselves The Nightriders.
I am one of them.
I cannot reveal the names of the others but some of you have seen them. Some of them have been to this blog, although Nightriders are generally not internet-savvy (one is downright ignorant, but we still love her).
What does it mean to be a Nightrider? A Nightrider is, first and foremost, someone who grew up, came of age, or was born in, the 1980s. They take their name from the 80s TV show "Knightrider," featuring David Hasselhoff and the talking car "Kit." (I realize the show was spelled "Knightrider" but we call ourselves "Nightriders." It is a conundrum.)
A Nightrider is strong, brave, and true. Like the Knights of the Round Table, the Three Muskateers, or the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.
Nightriders stick together. They watch films and play board games -- and eat. Oh yes, they LOVE to eat. When they are not doing these things, they are standing up against evil wherever it is found, and they are stamping it out with their superhero powers. The only weakness they have is a fondness for placing each other on probation, usually when one of them leads the others to watch a movie that turns out to be boring, or talks all of them into driving 50 freaking miles out into the sticks of Kentucky to visit "the scariest Halloween haunted house in America", only to have it turn out to be like some cheesy carny haunted house.
We have a theme song, written by yours truly. I will give you the lyrics now. Just remember: wherever there is evil, wherever there is mayhem, wherever there is a good buffet -- have no fear: WE will be there!

In troublesome times, the world needs a group of heroes.
Super-cool heroes to turn back the tide of evil.
Who is this now, riding through the storm, come to save us?
It's the Nightriders.
It's the Nightriders.

Forged in experiences of the 1980s,
this group of men and ladies, they know how to party.
They know how to paint and dance and write and fight for justice,
They're the Nightriders.
They're the Nightriders.

So if you're down and you need someone to call,
Don't look for Batman or the webslinger crawling on the wall.
Just say "Hey Nightriders, please come and save me!"
Then you'll feel the power of the 1980's.

No matter if Jeff, Louisville, Clarksville, or New Albany,
No thief is safe unless the Nightriders are busy watching TV.
Still, they make you laugh.
You know you want their autographs.
They're the Nightriders.
They're the Nightriders!

12 Comments:

At Thu Mar 03, 01:40:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! The Nightriders finally make the blog!

 
At Thu Mar 03, 06:36:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely said Bobby... I couldn't have said it better. No, really, I couldn't have. I hate to write. Or for that matter read more than a long paragraph. Seizure later...

 
At Thu Mar 03, 08:49:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bobby, nice blog. I saw the discussion on Sojourn's site, and I must admit, I've been thoroughly amused by the numerous blogs it led me to. I don't think we've met. Actually, I don't think I've met most of you Blogger savy folks. I have a LiveJournal already, but these seem quite fun. My compliments to you as a writer, critic, and comic. Late, all you Nightriders.

 
At Fri Mar 04, 05:35:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Amanda: We must be careful, you know. The Forces of Darkness are out there. They live; they breathe.
Batman never let the Joker know where the Batcave was, did he? This blog is like our Batcave.

Will: Hate to read? Oh, the shame. I am earnestly beseeching the Lord to overlook this on your behalf. And to give you a heart for reading.

e.: Glad to have you aboard. Actually I haven't gone to Sojourn that long, so I'm still meeting new people all the time. So many interesting characters. You will have fun making their acquaintances.

 
At Fri Mar 04, 08:30:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby, thanks. I've actually been going to Sojourn for some time (over a year now), but I haven't been to .gathered in some time. Last week was my first time back since mid-October, and, man, it was rockin. You must have snuck in while I was away. OH, hey, you're not the guy that had hundreds of posts on the site prior to anyone actually knowing who you were, are you? That's crazy. Late. e.

 
At Fri Mar 04, 09:15:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

That IS crazy. Man, who is THAT guy? Posting hundreds of comments before people even know who you are ... hehehe ... what a nutjob. I sure haven't seen anyone like that around here, though. No, sure haven't, hehehe. But if I see him, uh, just by chance, I'll ask him about it. Far out, man. Some people are far out.

 
At Fri Mar 04, 07:31:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, I hate to disappoint you and all but reading was never my thing. Would rather watch the movie any day of the week than read the book. Seizure later...

 
At Sat Mar 05, 06:58:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day... I've got a beautiful feelin' everythings going my way. I suppose you all know that OKLAHOMA is coming soon. I had a small role in our high school play my Junior year. Oh, those were the days. Seizure later...

 
At Sat Mar 05, 12:21:00 PM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

"Oklahoma" is such good, clean fun!

 
At Sat Mar 05, 02:10:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will, where did you go to high school?

 
At Mon Mar 07, 02:01:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crawford County Jr-Sr High School in the big metropolis of Marengo Indiana. Class of "80. Population 800 (that includes the dogs and cats). Seizure later...

 
At Sun Mar 13, 06:33:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B-Dog... Twana and I had a good time at your party. Good times and good food. Until next time, seizure later...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home