Monday, March 07, 2005

News and Notes

1. There is a movement afoot in certain circles to nickname me "Gui-yas" (or as Cheryl would type, "Gilles with the Spanish accent"). Nip it in the bud, folks. My nickname is B-Dog, plain and simple. B-Dog.

2. Sorry about failing to give you the corn, Nikki. I hope you hadn't planned a corn-eating party last night. I brought it with me, but a string of incidents last afternoon left me carrying and holding my rather large 6-year old Logan throughout the evening at Sojourn Gathered. Afterwards, I just wanted to corral the other two and head back to the Golden Land of Indiana ASAP to rest my back (and watch "The Ring" with Nightriders). Corn does await you, though.

3. On the car trip home last night, the kids were in a theological mood. Many questions concerning the nature of God and Christ, the power of the devil, and the battle between good and evil. If you ever want to test your understanding of scripture, forget debating with adults -- just try to explain things to children.
They were quite concerned to know that God would beat the devil in the end. I told them that He would throw Satan into the "lake of fire." Then this snippet of conversation ensued:
Garrett: But Daddy, I just had a horrible thought. What if God tries to grab the devil, but he
goes "poof."
Me: "Poof"?
Garrett: You know, "poof", and he disappears. "Poof away."
Me: He can't.
Garrett: But you said he was a spirit....

Which led to a discussion on the omnipotence of God and His power over all created things, even the angels, of which Satan was numbered, until he rebelled, etc., etc., etc.

4. Since you're a gracious audience, and your host cares very, very much about your entertainment and enlightenment, I will now give you great poetry. I give you -- Robert Browning (1812-1889). Enjoy. And tomorrow ... a critical analysis of "Mystery of Mercy" by Caedmon's Call.

SUMMUM BONUM, by Robert Browning

All the breath and the bloom of the year in the bag of one bee:
All the wonder and wealth of the mine in the heart of one gem:
In the core of one pearl all the shade and the shine of the sea:
Breath and bloom, shade and shine, wonder, wealth, and--how far above
them--Truth, that's brighter than gem,
Trust, that's purer than pearl,--
Brightest truth, purest trust in the universe--all were for me
In the kiss of one girl

3 Comments:

At Mon Mar 07, 06:58:00 AM PST, Blogger Lorie said...

That IS a great poem! Me likes.

 
At Mon Mar 07, 08:22:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree, great poem.

and it's Gilles (spanish pronunciation)

"Gilles with a spanish accent" just doesn't feel right, somehow.

 
At Mon Mar 07, 10:19:00 AM PST, Blogger Tom said...

you never gave me my can of corn for being the frist ever to reply......looks like me n Niki need to call the Corny Cops....or Corn Cops and pop ya....no that would make them PopCorn Cops. Speaking of corn and pops I would love to have some corn pops cereal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home