Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Bob And Willie Show

The Bob Dylan/ Willie Nelson show rocked, as I knew it would. Too bad the heat was so oppressive, but I didn't melt so I guess it was worth the gamble.

Check out today's Courier Journal (the Feature section) for a pretty good review. The only thing is, the reviewer didn't discuss The Greencards, a great acoustic band ("two Aussies and a Brit," as they described themselves) who opened the show. They only played twenty minutes -- I'd love to see them come back to town and headline a show somewhere like Uncle Pleasants or Headliners. Great stuff.

Here is Dylan's set list from last night:

Tombstone Blues (good choice to get the place hopping)

She Belongs To Me

Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee (this always cracks me up)

Just Like A Woman (a nice understated version)

High Water (For Charley Patton) (some really rocking banjo -- yes, I said "rocking banjo" on this one)

Absolutely Sweet Marie

Man In The Long Black Coat

Honest With Me

My Back Pages (Awesome folk song. I've always loved those lines "I was so much older then / I'm younger than that now")

Cold Irons Bound (He rocks hard on this Grammy winner from 1997)

Mr. Tambourine Man (way different version than what you're used to -- very slow. Interesting)

Highway 61 Revisited (closed the show with a bang on this old blues romp. I thought we'd have to clap forever before he came out for the encore though)

encore
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic, gentle. Unlike several of the old selections he played tonight, he didn't change the arrangement much on this one. Smooth, mellow, with those deceptively devastating lyrics -- one of the best uses of understatement to highlight the pain of loss that you'll find)

All Along The Watchtower (another classic, and a solid blues-rock anthem to send us home pumped up.

6 Comments:

At Fri Jul 01, 07:51:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

Yeah if you hadn't told me it was mr tamboruine man I almost would never have known it. As being the only song I recognized.....barely. He sounded like alvin and the chipmunks that kept chaging gears. But his band and the tunes were very good, great even. Now Willie was awesome just how I remember him. ANd you forgot to mention the maountain of humid muggyiness we had to endure!

 
At Fri Jul 01, 11:19:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

Did Tom just compare the Great Dylan to Alvin of the Chipmunks?

 
At Fri Jul 01, 12:18:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

I can smell the sarcasm on your breath, King, even though we're miles apart.
Don't make me give you (and Tom) another lecture on Dylan's place in history, and the need for ALL lovers of music, poetry, and LIFE to respect Mr. Bob Dylan for what he has done and how that has impacted other artists of all stripes, artists that directly affect us all.

Don't make me do it.

I will if I have to.

 
At Fri Jul 01, 01:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

Well if I could have heard the lyrics I might have thought differently....but his voice.....yes I am comparing his voice that night to alvin and the chipmunks.....and changed gears frequently.

But the lyrics I heard were cool, the tunes were great, but his voice on the other hand...

 
At Wed Jul 06, 09:03:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lorie said...

This is making me laugh. And I'm at work.

 
At Wed Jul 06, 10:11:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

Hardy-har-har-har.

"Mr. Tambourine Man" is already in the Norton Anthology of Contemporary Poems, you know. Long after people have forgotten all the "great" singers of our day, they will be studying Mr. Dylan.

Of course, my son said of Dylan, "He sounds like Mushmouth." (from Fat Albert)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home