Sunday, August 07, 2005

Friend of the Day: Jeremy Quillo

Yes, my friends, it is time for another installment of the Jive To The Monkey Friend of the Day citation. You may recall that the first such award went to "Nature Boy" Jason Hall, several months ago.

Let's set the scene:

Last Tuesday evening. I had a free night, I wanted to see a movie. I was particularly interested in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." I had a meeting at Sunergos that was to last until almost 7, so I planned to head over to Baxter to see the film. BUT ... B-Dog does not watch movies alone in theaters. It's too depressing. So who to call? Who could come through, and would be somewhat close to that area? None other than Jeremy Quillo, who, although he'd already seen Charlie twice, was game. He called Matt Requet, who will no doubt win his own Friend of the Day citation at some point, and off we went. We three, we happy three.

Jeremy is one of the first friends I made at Sojourn. I remember he and I met for lunch during the first day of the big storm last December (well, it was the closest thing we had to a big storm this past winter). We dined at Down To Lunch Cafe, across the street from where I work. He could have canceled -- I'd have certainly understood. Driving conditions sucked. But yet he came, and we had a great time. We talked a lot about songwriting, and about the writing process in general. He also told me the history of Sojourn, confirming my belief that Sojourn is so cool, it must have been started, at least in large part, by Hoosiers.

I joined Jeremy's community group around that time. Since then, he and his wife Carrie have joined a group closer to their home -- hey, maybe I ran them off! But the easy familiarity and kinship I've always felt around Jeremy,and all the Quillo's, has certainly made it easier to bond with the church as a whole.

Jeremy will be entered into a drawing to win a free can of navy beans here on Jive To The Monkey. Just one of the ways I say "thanks" to my Friend of the Day recipients. Way to go, Mr. Quillo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home