Monday, July 03, 2006

Jesus Cleans Your Heart and Turns You Into A Sex Symbol

More from Donald Miller's "Searching For God Knows What:"

(Talking to a friend of his)


"... But let's try a little experiment." I looked out over the record store, a mass-market chain store that must have housed ten thousand CDs, and I asked him to go into the racks and find one ugly person on the cover of a record.

"Do what?" my friend asked.

"You know, find an ugly person."

"Okay," my friend said reluctantly, and with that he walked into the aisle and started thumbing through the discs.

"What about this one?" he said, holding up a compact disc with a dorky-looking guy holding up an acoustic guitar, the letters of the type looking like something printed in the sixties, but the picture very much modern.

"Easy enough, isn't it?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure," he said sarcastically. But the reason I had asked him to do this was because I knew our next stop would be a large Christian bookstore here in Portland, a bookstore that has an entire room devoted to music ... I asked my friend to come to the music room with me and I asked him to do the same thing, to find a record with an ugly person on the cover ...

... I went with him and both of us thumbed through the discs, picking out covers and showing them to each other, but none of the artists even slightly passed for ugly.

We spent about twenty minutes looking through the records but came up with nothing. We literally couldn't find one record cover with an ugly person on it ... we are, perhaps, even more obsessed, in the Church, with the stuff culture is obsessed with. We are hardly providing an alternative worldview. The mantra seems to be "Trust in Jesus! He will redeem you to the world!"

c. 2004 Donald Miller

3 Comments:

At Mon Jul 03, 03:17:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tim Rice said...

How easy it is to follow the world rather than to be an example for the world to follow.

 
At Mon Jul 03, 04:52:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jason Ramage said...

I think about this every time I flip through Relevant magazine. In fact, it's usually the only thing on my mind... even Seventeen squeezes in pictures of slightly unattractive people in the last few pages, but not Relevant.

 
At Tue Jul 04, 07:49:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well something else in the music industry for the most part is looks. you can't sing unless you have the looks.

Which for the mega stars you need the looks to fall back on since nearly everything is prefabricated and the recording industry tells you what your image is going to be.

When they are done, can they sing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home