Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Old School Excerpt

From a fictional account of a Robert Frost lecture in Tobias Wolff's excellent novel "Old School." Frost is laying a verbal smackdown on a teacher who had insinuated that in these complicated modern times, with industrialization, wars, etc., strict attention to form and meter is inadequate to "express the modern consciousness," and that "form should give way to more spontaneous modes of expression:"

"... don't tell me about war. I lost my nearest friend in the one they call the Great War. So did Achilles lose his friend in war, and Homer did no injustice to his grief by writing about it in dactylic hexameters. There've always been wars, and they've always been as foul as we could make them. It is very fine and pleasant to think ourselves the most put-upon folk in history -- but then everyone has thought that from the beginning. It makes a grand excuse for all manner of laziness. But about my friend. I wrote a poem for him. I still write poems for him. Would you honor your own friend by putting words down anyhow, just as they come to you -- with no thought for the sound they make, the meaning of their sound, the sound of their meaning? Would that give a true account of the loss?

Frost had been looking right at Mr. Ramsey as he spoke. Now he broke off and let his eyes roam over the room.

I am thinking of Achilles' grief, he said. That famous, terrible, grief. Let me tell you boys something. Such grief can only be told in form. Maybe it only really exists in form. Form is everything. Without it you've got nothing but a stubbed-toe cry -- sincere, maybe, for what that's worth, but with no depth or carry. No echo. You may have a grievance but you do not have grief, and grievances are for petitions, not poetry. Does that answer your question?"

22 Comments:

At Tue Jul 11, 09:32:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel very unsettled.

This has been Harvey Brown.

 
At Tue Jul 11, 10:25:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

bobby i'm wondering just how many different "personalities" will show up in your comments in one day

 
At Tue Jul 11, 10:27:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Including all the variations of me?

 
At Tue Jul 11, 10:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

17. Or, including all the variations of you, 25.

 
At Tue Jul 11, 11:42:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

BOBBY HIGHJACKED MY IDENTITY


WE ARE SO FIGHTING RIGHT NOW

 
At Tue Jul 11, 12:18:00 PM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

With knives.

 
At Tue Jul 11, 12:27:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRING IT ON CHUMP! GURLS RULE!

 
At Tue Jul 11, 09:57:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Frost and his teacher are both right.. or wrong depending on how you look at it. Everyone expresses, responds to and relates to emotion differently.

I have a question- How is it that this Uncle Geoffrey person is from Louisville, according to his blog, yet does his neighborhhod watch rounds in Jeff?

 
At Wed Jul 12, 05:18:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

I think perhaps Uncle Geoffrey lists himself as being from Louisville for the benefit of the out-of-towners, who wouldn't know where Jeff was, or that it is basically a suburb of Louisville, although it's in a different state and is separated by the river.

Same as me.

But that's just speculation on my part.

 
At Wed Jul 12, 06:17:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

Ahahaha, I trying to remember if I've ever uttered the words "bring it on CHUMP".

Oh and in the fight, can we use guns, because I'm from Texas so they teach us more about guns than knives. Thanks.

 
At Wed Jul 12, 08:29:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby, you do not live in a suburb of Louisville- you are a Hoosier.
Uncle Geoffrey- I'm putting up curtains today!

 
At Wed Jul 12, 09:33:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And after using the word CHUMP, I think it has a certain ring to it so I may use it again.

When I say guns I mean shotguns!

 
At Wed Jul 12, 10:10:00 AM PDT, Blogger Bobby said...

I am a Hoosier when I feel like identifying with Indiana and a Louisvillian when I feel like identifying with Louisville, and a Kentuckian when I feel like identifying with Kentucky (because make no mistake about it, there is a difference between Louisville and the rest of Kentucky).

I am three-in-one. Oh yeah.

 
At Wed Jul 12, 10:11:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for ever saying the word "chump." In fact, I am a chump. And I don't know how to use guns OR knives, and we like to wear big ugly belt buckles in Texas.

 
At Wed Jul 12, 10:17:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

hahahah Bobby I swear if you are going to mimic me you better do a better job than that.

 
At Wed Jul 12, 10:21:00 AM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

I think that means Tom has taken my side in all of this (Way to go Tom)

Bobby - YOU ARE A NUT

and just for your inforamtion the "we" associated with the big ugly belt buckles does not include "me" although it might include the other katie posing as me

in fact, that katie is all countryfied

 
At Wed Jul 12, 11:21:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, this is Harvey Brown.

I think everyone in this chat room needs to step back and ask themselves "WWJD."

 
At Wed Jul 12, 11:22:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camille?

 
At Wed Jul 12, 11:25:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

WWJD? Who Was Jeramine Duprius?

 
At Wed Jul 12, 12:15:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that what it means? I thought, I thought ...

sigh.

Now what am I going to do with all these bracelets.

This has been Harvey Brown.

 
At Wed Jul 12, 12:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Katie said...

NUTS, you're all nuts

at least watchings nuts is highly entertaining

 
At Wed Jul 12, 12:36:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tom said...

I am a cashew thank you very much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home