Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Day of Infamy -- The Benito Juarez Incident

I write this late Tuesday afternoon. It is Benito Juarez' birthday, a holiday in Mexico.

Who was Benito Juarez? Well, it was precisely this question that I answered with stunning accuracy and candor one year ago, on the blog belonging to one "Random" Cheryl Rupp (blogbycheryl.blogspot.com). Cheryl was holding a competition for a latte, offering this prize to the blogger who gave her the best answer.

I gave the best answer.

I did not win.

My nemesis, Lorie King, won. As per usual.

"Benito Juarez" has become my "Remember the Alamo!" And it ever shall be.

I think it should be yours, too. All across America, all you Monkey Maniacs -- every time you are slighted, wronged, or perpetrated against, you should shout from the hilltops, "Benito Juarez," while pumping your arm in the air and shaking your fist.

6 Comments:

At Tue Mar 21, 02:09:00 PM PST, Blogger Katie said...

what? you pull me in with the great question of who Benito Juarez is and yet you leave me hanging in suspense? Such a party foul.

So who is Benito Juarez?

 
At Tue Mar 21, 02:53:00 PM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Well, going back to the original, infamous debate, King said this about him:

"Benito Juárez was the first Native American to be president of Mexico. He served two terms in the late 1800s and is considered to have been their most-loved leader. He led opposition to the French when they invaded in the 1800s and was a reformative liberal leader in the area of democracy and lessening the political power of the Roman Catholic Church in Mexico, largely defining the strict separation of church and state. (Interesting fact: Benito Mussolini was named for him.)

His most famous quote is "Entre los Individuos, como entre Las Naciones, El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz" (Among individuals, as among the nations, respect of another's rights is peace). This being the case, my suggestion for how to celebrate the anniversary of his birth (March 21) would be to practice intentional acts of kindness and respect of others' rights---give that last cup of coffee to another thirsty co-worker, let that person go ahead of you in the checkout line, use turn signals while driving. Promote peace. :)"

I, on the other hand, said this:

"Wrong, wrong, wrong, King. Benito Juarez was Pedro's cousin that had the sweet ride and provided the muscle so Pedro could say "Pedro offers you his protection." We honor Benito because without him, Pedro would have lost the election.

How do we celebrate? I don't know, build him a cake or something.

I'll be expecting my prize Sunday."

So you can see why, a year later, I'm still having trouble dealing with the injustice.

 
At Wed Mar 22, 06:05:00 AM PST, Blogger Kristi B. said...

ha ha. that's funny!

 
At Wed Mar 22, 06:31:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

Yup. See, I don't like to let facts get in the way of a funny story. That's why I should have won the prize.

 
At Wed Mar 22, 09:22:00 AM PST, Blogger Tom said...

Benito Juarez...it's all in Bobby's hat....just look at the hat, the answer lies within!

 
At Fri Mar 24, 08:59:00 AM PST, Blogger Bobby said...

That's right, Tom. There's a lot of wisdom in this ol' hat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home